Monday, October 26, 2009

Don't wanna be an American idiot


I don’t know what it was about teenage American series that kept me addicted throughout high school. I used to spend my late afternoons in front of my television glancing at my homework while a glorified, uninteresting bimbo ranted about her life in the Hollywood Hills, and somehow found it entertaining. Fortunately, during second term sitting in res that changed as a friend and I watched an episode of Skins, and since then they have not been deleted off our laptops.
Skins follows the lives of a group of modern, blunt and believable teenagers throughout their last years of high school in Bristol, England. I first read about this fictional series in Dazed and Confused magazine, and again on the internet when I saw that one of my favourite bands’ music was featured throughout the series. Each episode is dedicated to a specific character, and not only are the story lines compelling and relevant to modern, down-to-earth teenagers; but the clever cinematography and alternative soundtrack make each hour long episode unique and provoking. There are no visits to Starbucks or mindless sagas about prom king; but rather authentic scenes from college life such as homosexuality, personality disorders, religion, underage sex, dysfunctional families and death.

What makes this show so convincing is that it is written by teenagers, and was originally created by a father and son duo in Bristol – a working to middle class area – so each character’s stories are well-thought-out and shed a genuine perspective on young personas. I would recommend any student to find time to watch it and (without sounding like television has a large influence on my life), it has reminded me that there is a lot more to being a functional young adult than fake tan and BMWs.

No comments:

Post a Comment